blessjerome Index du Forum

blessjerome
http://fakeoakleysoutlet.org/ fake oakley sunglasses fake oakleys fake oakley sunglasses replica oakley sunglasses cheap oakleys replica oakleys oakley sunglasses

FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   MembresMembres   GroupesGroupes   S’enregistrerS’enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

No gift I bring but worship

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    blessjerome Index du Forum -> blessjerome -> blessjerome
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
zhuoguangrong
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Ven 14 Oct - 05:09 (2011)    Sujet du message: No gift I bring but worship Répondre en citant

After McClellan's change of base to Harrison's Landing on James River, the army lay inactive around Richmond.  I had a short furlough on account of sickness, and saw my father; also my mother and sisters, who were then living in Richmond.  He was the same loving father to us all, as kind and thoughtful of my mother, who as an invalid, and of us, his children <font size="4"><em><strong>cheap oakleys polarized antix sunglasses</strong></em></font><font size="4"><em><strong> </strong></em></font>, as if our comfort and happiness were all he had to care for.  His great victory did not elate him, so far as one could see.  In a letter of July 9th, to my mother, he says:

&quot;...I have returned to my old quarters and am filled with gratitude to our Heavenly Father for all the mercies He has extended to us. Our success has not been so great or complete as we could have desired, but God knows what is best for us.  Our enemy met with a heavy loss, from which it must take him some time to recover, before he can recommence his operations....&quot;

While at Greensboro I went to see President Davis, just before he proceeded on his way further south.  He was calm and dignified, and, in his conversation with several officers of rank who were there, seemed to think, and so expressed himself <font size="4"><em><strong>cheap oakleys polarized antix sunglasses</strong></em></font><font size="4"><em><strong> </strong></em></font>, that our cause was not lost, though sorely stricken, and that we could rally our forces west of the Mississippi and make good our fight.  While I was in the room, Mr. Davis received the first official communication from General Lee of his surrender.  Colonel John Taylor Woods, his aide-de-camp, had taken me in to see the President, and he and I were standing by him when the despatch from General Lee was brought to him.  After reading it, he handed it without comment to us; then, turning away, he silently wept bitter tears.  He seemed quite broken at the moment by this tangible evidence of the loss of his army and the misfortune of its general.  All of us, respecting his great grief, silently withdrew, leaving him with Colonel Wood.  I never saw him again.

I started for Richmond, accompanied by several companions <strong><em><font size="4">fake oakley sunglasses</font></em></strong>, with the servants and horses belonging to our headquarters.  These I had brought down with me from Lynchburg, where I had found them after the surrender. After two week of marching and resting, I arrived in Richmond and found my father there, in the house on Franklin Street, now the rooms of the &quot;Virginia Historical Society,&quot; and also my mother, brother, and sisters.  They were all much relieved at my reappearance.

As well as I can recall my father at this time, he appeared to be very well physically, though he looked older, grayer, more quiet and reserved.  He seemed very tired, and was always glad to talk of any other subject than that of the war or anything pertaining thereto.  We all tried to cheer and help him.  And the people of Richmond and of the entire South were as kind and considerate as it was possible to be.  Indeed, I think their great kindness tired him.  He appreciated it all, was courteous, grateful, and polite, but he had been under such a terrible strain for several years that he needed the time and quiet to get back his strength of heart and mind.  All sorts and conditions of people came to see him:  officers and soldiers from both armies, statesmen, politicians, ministers of the Gospel, mothers and wives to ask about husbands and sons of whom they had heard nothing. To keep him from being overtaxed by this incessant stream of visitors, we formed a sort of guard of the young men in the house, some of whom took it by turns to keep the door and <strong><em><font size="4">replica oakley sunglasses</font></em></strong>, if possible, turn strangers away. My father was gentle, kind, and polite to all, and never willingly, so far as I know, refused to see any one.

The Kaffir looked miserably uncomfortable.  He shifted from one leg to the other <em>cheap oakleys</em>, casting longing glances at the closed door.

'I tink I go,' he said.  'Afterwards we will speak more.'

It seems a little word to say - FAREWELL--but may it not, when said, Be like the kiss we give the dead, Before they pass the doors for aye?

Who knows if, on some after day, Your lips shall utter in its stead A welcome, and the broken thread Be joined again, the selfsame way?

The word is said, I turn to go, But on the threshold seem to hear A sound as of a passing bell, Tolling monotonous and slow, Which strikes despair upon my ear, And says it is a last farewell.

A BIRTHDAY GIFT

No gift I bring but worship, and the love Which all must bear to lovely souls and pure,

Those lights, that, when all else is dark, endure; Stars in the night <em>oakley half x sunglasses polished black</em>, to lift our eyes above;

To lift our eyes and hearts, and make us move Less doubtful, though our journey be obscure, Less fearful of its ending, being sure That they watch over us, where'er we rove.

Publicité

MessagePosté le: Ven 14 Oct - 05:09 (2011)    Sujet du message: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    blessjerome Index du Forum -> blessjerome -> blessjerome Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 2 Heures
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers:  

Index | Panneau d’administration | Creer un forum | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation